Legionella sampling can be used as a great reassurance measure or alternatively to show in an empirical way failings in a buildings or systems control measures.
Depending on the water system(s) installed, Legionella sampling may or may not be a requirement. Cooling towers, spa pools and some process systems need routine sampling in order to prove control.
In domestic water systems there are circumstances where sampling is recommended under HSG274 Part 2 (HSE’s published guidance), these include:
- Initially on systems when biocides are used and temperature is reduced (monthly for approx. 12 months)
- Where the efficacy of the control regime is in doubt – eg. failures in temperature or biocide regime (weekly sampling advised)
- High risk areas eg. hospital wards with particularly at risk patients, care homes etc.
- Suspected or confirmed Legionellosis associated with water system
- If the risk assessment says so
In addition sampling as part of a risk assessment can be a good tool for reassurance particularly in water system(s) where the present risk and control is not known.
I have used them to perform several tests for me over the past 12 months. I have always found them to be of the highest calibre. Professional, punctual and courteous. Dealing with Duncan the managing director is always an easy experience. He has the patience to explain terminology and results that are beyond my initial comprehension. Tests are performed at the agreed times and results presented in an easy to understand format in a timely manner, at the agreed and very reasonable price. I highly recommend this company and cannot imagine using anyone else to perform the tests that I require.Mark Tanner, Isoman